11.12.2008

Prayer Request

Ok, I am going to try and control my overwhelming excitement as I attempt to be impartial in seeking God's will and not my own. Here goes.....my father-in-law, an elder in our church, is making a phone call today to a prospective pastor for our congregation. I happen to have great respect for this man and love his family dearly and have been praying since we met them that we might have him as our pastor. When Jake called me this afternoon to tell me that this phone call was going to happen, I burst into tears.
A little background: About 3 years ago our church hosted Synod (big meeting) and Rev. Clark and his family (wife and 3 children - high school aged, homeschooled and the politest, most agreeable children I have ever had the privilege of being around) stayed with us. I have never heard the man preach a sermon, but I have seen the way he and his family were with us, the way they prayed for us during their visit, the way they counseled and encouraged us with regard to raising our stronger-willed daughter, the way their children pulled the weeds in my flowerbed without being asked and declined an invitation to go to a house with a pool and video games because they liked playing with Emma, the way all 3 of their children obeyed and respected their parents, the way Mrs. Clark ran back into the house 3 times to give me just one more hug before they left....and sometimes, I think these things are at least as important, if not more important than the preaching (although, my FIL says he is also a great preacher and I'm inclined to believe him). I have missed the Clarks since they left that day and as certain events have unfolded in our lives over this last year, I couldn't help but think, if the Clarks were here I bet she would give me a hug and pray with me right now, I bet he would call us and make sure we were ok, I bet I would feel safe sharing our hurts with them. Maybe this is me putting my faith in man and not God, but I just want them to be here. Anyway, he is without a pulpit right now, but desiring to be in the ministry again.
Selfishly, I want to ask you to pray that the Lord's will if for us to have Rev. Clark, but what I will ask is that you pray that we will have the pastor that the Lord desires us to have, even if it isn't him. You might also want to pray for my patience in the mean time....

3 comments:

Talia said...

so exciting, Cheri!! we've been praying for your church and it's search for a pastor. I hope you are blessed with one soon, whoever he is. (although it won't hurt to put in a few prayers for Rev. Clark :))
Like you said, the Lord's will be done.

Kala said...

Hey! If little ol' me can hear the depths of your cry, I can't even fathom what the Lord hears! I am definately praying...

Sunny said...

I'm excited to see what becomes of this...

Blog Archive