9.18.2008

What we've been up to....

Dove hunting.....
Well, some of us have been dove hunting. Mostly my husband and my youngest daughter. Jacob is quite obsessed with dove season and measures all other times of the year based on its relation to September 1 (aka "Dove Day"). Every week in church when pastor has us open our Heidelberg to week whatever, he turns to me and says "____ more weeks!" and I know that means "_____ more weeks" until September 1st. He is very strange.....and predictable.
Anyway, Lauren is beginning to show signs of this same obsessiveness. She loves going dove hunting with dad. I used to think that she really just liked going with dad, playing in the dirt, eating the snacks they take with them, etc and probably didn't really care so much about the actual dove hunting. However, her favorite aspect of this hobby is cleaning the birds. (yuk!) That's right. Lauren, the same girl who doesn't leave the house without her purse, is obsessed with make-up, shoes, and everything princess loves to manhandle dead birds. She insisted that I take this picture of her holding this dead, filthy, disgusting, disease-infested creature...

Putting in a new sprinkler system....
Last year, we killed the grass in our backyard. Why? My husband didn't think we had enough projects going on. I thought the grass was fine. Sure it had some weeds in it and the sprinklers leaked, who cares? The thing is, we have three other "yard" areas that we have completely redone since moving into this house and the thought of one more made me want to run for the hills.
However, we rented a trencher (again!) and put in a new sprinkler system last weekend. Jake rototilled today and plans to plant the grass seed this weekend. Now that it's done, I'm glad we did it and I know that it will be so much nicer than it was. Now....to put in the deck!

Other stuff.....
Awana started again and the girls are so excited to be back! Lauren's dance class is back in session and she has informed me (many times) that she is now in the "big girl class, learning big girl ballet." Emma is excited for the fair and is in the junior rodeo next weekend. She chose 2 events....stick horse racing and dummy cow milking. Don't ask. (I'll post pics after...) Jake is in several events over the next 4 days.....my love of the fair is going to be tested to the limits this year! :-) CBS has started again for me and we're studying Luke.....good and refreshing after I & II Kings last year. I've also been reading books about home schooling (keeping those options open!) and have fallen in love with a woman named Charlotte Mason who I find to be brilliant and think she might even have been reformed (although I can't prove it). Jake claims I've read upwards of 20 books in the last 2 weeks but as I scan the living room, I only see 10! :-)

3 comments:

~ Kati said...

Cheri! I love Charlotte Mason!...started it this year...reading Tom Sawyer...boys love it! Narratives are awesome... :)

Sunny said...

Yuck on the doves! So what does one do with those doves? Eat them? Ick. I'm glad Lauren is having fun and spending time with Daddy! You'll have to share whatever you learn about homeschooling with me. At least we'll be in it together if we both do it! :)

Talia said...

It just CRACKS me up that petite little Lauren is into dove hunting. Who'd a thunk. :) How fun that it's something she and her daddy can do together though!

I am so excited you are considering homeschooling... the more of us, the better! It'll be so fun to all be doing it together, not to mention that I am absolutely positive I will learn a ton from all you... and I need that!

Blog Archive